Thursday 17 September 2015

Stolen Rocks

I wrote to the Ileach describing the vandalisation of the kyanite locality 10.1

Stolen Rock

Dear Sir,

Islay has a unique and vaied geological heritage and it is shame that someone has chosen to steal one of its rarest rocks. The entire exposure of an unusual occurence of the mineral kyanite has been removed from near Kilnaughton beach. The exposure is shown in my book 'A Guide to the Geology of Islay' and I am most upset that a reader has chosen to destroy the locality for others. In particular a PhD student's research has been severely compromised.  If anyone can shed any light on this wanton act of geo-vandalism I'd be grateful if they would contact me.

Regards

David Webster

1 comment:

  1. A complete disgrace. We have a fossil tree on Mull which has been degraded by these sorts of people, ruining the wonderful natural spectacle for others. I enjoyed a great geo-excursion with David in October, Thanks again. Ewan

    ReplyDelete